IP & Patents
A patent is the “life’s breath” of our industry group and is a set of exclusive rights granted by a sovereign state to an inventor or their assignee for a limited period of time, in exchange for the public disclosure of the invention.
Patents are a form of intellectual property.
The procedure for granting patents, requirements placed on the patentee, and the extent of the exclusive rights vary widely between countries according to national laws and international agreements. Typically, however, a patent application must include one or more claims that define the invention. These claims must meet relevant patentability requirements, such as novelty and non-obviousness. The exclusive right granted to a patentee in most countries is the right to prevent others from making, using, selling, or distributing the patented invention without permission.
Under the World Trade Organization's (WTO) Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights, patents should be available in WTO member states for any invention, in all fields of technology, and the term of protection available should be a minimum of seventeen years. Nevertheless, there are variations on what is patentable subject matter from country to country.
- April 13, 2016 - 1:05pm | Henry'omics, IP & Patents
- March 24, 2016 - 9:49am | Henry'omics, IP & Patents
- January 5, 2016 - 10:23am | IP & Patents
- October 29, 2015 - 9:54am | IP & Patents
- September 1, 2015 - 4:04pm | Research Notes, IP & Patents
- August 27, 2015 - 12:39pm | Research Notes, IP & Patents
- August 26, 2015 - 8:51am | Research Notes, IP & Patents
- August 21, 2015 - 11:38am | Research Notes, IP & Patents
- July 23, 2015 - 9:15am | Research Notes, IP & Patents
- July 15, 2015 - 9:29am | IP & Patents
- June 23, 2015 - 10:44am | IP & Patents
- June 2, 2015 - 8:49am | IP & Patents
- May 6, 2015 - 7:38am | IP & Patents
- April 21, 2015 - 8:25am | IP & Patents
- April 6, 2015 - 8:31am | IP & Patents
- March 27, 2015 - 8:07am | IP & Patents
- February 25, 2015 - 9:22am | IP & Patents
- February 24, 2015 - 9:20am | IP & Patents
- February 10, 2015 - 11:50am | IP & Patents
- February 9, 2015 - 8:58am | IP & Patents